• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Removing Torsion Bar Plug

Bassman

Evening,

You may have seen from another thread I have had my beam apart to re-furb it.

I am at the stage where it is completely apart, I have bought the new bits I need and I am in the process of de-rusting it (Deox-C and wire brush action).

The Plug (5154 05 - actually more of a screw-on cap than a plug) which goes on one end of each torsion bar that the Suspension Bar Stud then passes through is knackered on one side where I had to force the stud and bar through it. Any advice as to how to remove the remnants?

Currently it has been heated with a blow-lamp, chiselled and Deox-C'd, but it just won't move. I am currently trying to beat it into the centre of the hole so I can move it away from the threads and then cut it up to remove it, but it seems well and truely stuck and is breaking up and last night I snapped the old chisel I was using. Any other ideas?

I suppose I could get a Dremel and some sort of small cutting disc to try and cut it out, but this will obviously damage the threads (and cost more money).

Does anybody know the size of the threads in case I do knacker them and need to get a tap for them (v.large I guess).

Thanks

Rob

Edited by Bassman

welshpug

last one I tried to remove I ended up smacking round with a chisel in the direction of rotation, it gave up in the end!

no idea what thread size sorry.

B1ack_Mi16

No idea about the size but I guess welding a nut onto it will help getting it out :D

I guess you still can buy these caps at Peugeot?

SurGie

Do you mean the shouldered TB retaining bolt ?

Bassman
No idea about the size but I guess welding a nut onto it will help getting it out :D

I guess you still can buy these caps at Peugeot?

Yes I have two shiney new caps, but I shall leave the other one where it is as it is not deformed and I don't want this grief again!

I shall keep going with the chisel I guess, hopefully another night in Deox-C might help.

Ryan

I had the same problem a fortnight ago - both ends too.

I ended up using a junior hacksaw - thread the blade through the hole and cut a wedge shape out, leaving just the outer ring, which is then thin enough to bend inwards by hammering a screwdriver in.

pug_ham
Do you mean the shouldered TB retaining bolt ?

No.

post-71-1247230909.jpg

I've only ever had to remove one & that was because the TB was stuck in that end of the tube.

I used a big screwdriver with a square shaft & got a spanner on it to aid turning.

Came out pretty easily after that but if the cap is to far gone for this already, welding a nut to it is best option imo as the heat from wleding can help free it off.

Graham.

Bassman
No.

post-71-1247230909.jpg

I've only ever had to remove one & that was because the TB was stuck in that end of the tube.

I used a big screwdriver with a square shaft & got a spanner on it to aid turning.

Came out pretty easily after that but if the cap is to far gone for this already, welding a nut to it is best option imo as the heat from wleding can help free it off.

Graham.

Yup, that's the part.

Unfortunately it is too opened up to weld a nut to, I think the hacksaw route is the best otpion, however I am currently in denial and painting bits and pieces before re-assembly. ;)

pug_ham

Yeah, it turns out after checking that picture the part number shown for the plug isn't right & 5179.05 is actually for a seal that fits into the radius arm itself but I've never bought one iirc.

Item #4 in the picture below;

post-71-1247229884_thumb.jpg

04 5179 05 02 PLUG TOWBALL EXT .

If its that badly damaged won't it fold in with careful use of a chisel without needing a hacksaw risking damaging the threads for it?

Graham.

Bassman

I will have another go at that first, but it was pretty solid before. I have had it in a Deox-C bath for a couple of days which may have removed some of the rust, but it is reasonably thick steel as well so is hard to fold in. I will have another hack at it with a chisel and if necessary try and use a hacksaw on it, but yes thread damage is a risk.

Bassman

Finally got it out!

Took it to a local machine shop today as I had given up. He took one look at it and said the only way I would get it out is to chisel it out!

He then proceeded to clamp it into a vice and handed me a hammer and a decent metal chisel and told me to get on with it.

10 minutes later it was folded in and the part I had almost sawn through, finally gave way. Much easier with the beam held verticallly in a vice and a decent metal-working chisel.

The question now is does anybody have an M30 x 1.0mm tap I could borrow? I can get the new plug to start to take up the thread, but there is too much damage to screw it all the way in. They are around £85 on eBay and I don't really want to spend that for 2 minutes to clean-up the threads.

Failing that I will try some other local machine shops who might have one in stock, definietly a strange size - typical Peugeot.

Rob

Edited by Bassman