• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ben Tearle

Rear Beam To Body Brackets?

Guest Ben Tearle

Right then I need to fit a 309 axle to my 1.9 gti, however it is missing these two brackets:

017101.jpg

I've read that 309 and 1.6 gti ones are the same?, but that 1.9 gti one's are slightly different?

does anybody know which ones I need and also which orientation they need to be?

welshpug

doesnt particularly matter which you use, but if you do get the 1.9 ones you need to make sure they are in a pair and fitted to the correct sides.

all 309's bar the gti16 and all 205's bar the 1.9 share the same mounts which are not sided.

Ryan

Out of interest, how are the 1.9 ones different?

welshpug

the studs are offset by about 10mm or so, placing the beam further forward.

Jose

Old thread resurection!

Im just in the proccess of putting a 1.6 rear beam on my 1.9, do i need to use the original brackets ( which have seen better days) or am i OK using the ones already on the beam which are from a 1.6 and are not offset?

Anthony

1.6 ones on a 1.6 beam.

Baz

Or 309 ones...

1.9 ones are the only ones that are different iirc.

DamirGTI

Crap :D i might have mix of 1.9 left and 1.6 right bracket , as i remember when i bought this 1.9 beam for my 1.6 car it had broken stud on the right bracket .. so i fitted 1.6 bracket from my old 1.6 beam on this the right side instead ..

Out of curiosity , are just the 1.9 brackets labeled with D and G marks or all of them the 1.6 and 309's as well ?! :) also , from where about you measure this "stud offset" difference in between the brackets ?

Damir B)

Baz

Pretty sure just the 1.9 bracket are marked D and G, as they're the only ones that are offset as i say. The others are central, so it's fairly easy to notice, well, if you know there's a difference!

DamirGTI

Righto , cheers Baz :) will pop down the garage later and have a look ..

Damir :D

Jose

if the 1.9 brackets are offset by 10mm then wont this cause issues for lining up the rear mounts?

I take it both 1.6 and 1.9 shells have the holes in the same place? so how is this 10mm difference allowed for?

Im going to be fitting the brake set up of my old beam (stub axle, carriers, calipers etc)

Anthony

There is a degree of adjustment where the rear sandwich mounts attach to the beam (the hole is slotted) which is enough to take up the different in front mounts. The bodyshells are the same.

Tom Fenton

I still don't understand why the 10mm difference is needed. The trailing arms are the same length. The wheelarches are the same size. So do the 1900 cars have 10mm longer wheelbase?

DamirGTI
I still don't understand why the 10mm difference is needed.

Ditto ?! :lol:

Damir B)

welshpug

1.9 uses bigger tyres than the 1.6, about 5mm in it on the diameter I think, so I'd imagine it's to stop the tyre rubbing on the bumper as its mightily close.

Edited by welshpug

flipperthebushkangaroo

not sure if its relevant but seem to remember early 1.9's could not have rear mud flaps due to clearance issues until pug brought out a new designed one.