• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Knocking Over Bumps And On Full Lock...

wildejon

I have had a knocking sound over speed bumps for a while, I presumed it was just because I had coilovers, always done it!

But... a couple of weeks back I fitted 2nd hand 309 shafts and arms. It was ok for a few days but now I get a pretty loud knocking/clunking (pretty sure it is the left side) over the smallest bumps and also on full right lock, suggests to me that its the n/s shaft but I just wanted to see what you all thought... seems like there is a fairly regular knocking that you can feel but not hear when sitting on the passenger side too.

Reckon these are 2 isolated problems? Thanks!!

steve@cornwall

Bet it's a knackered droplink

wildejon

they are new... Does sound like that tho! Well, new before the euro trip...

jimistdt
Bet it's a knackered droplink

I'd second that. Check that they're nipped up tight, if they are and the droplink still moves easily it's time for a new pair. (It's best to do them in pairs I think.)

Quick Edit. Just seen your post, I had it with a new pair of Motaquip ones that started knoocking a couple of months after I fit them, I tightened it up a quarter turn and it is fine now.

Edited by jimistdt

tagy

Sounds to me like drop-link, wishbone ball-joint, or top mount is loose.

wildejon

They dont seem to budge at all! Feel really solid still.

To check the lower arm balljoints I just need to get them off the hub and see if they waggle right?

Really hope its not that, could do without the expense!

Cheers guys

Tom Fenton

Is is a rhythmic knocking? E.g. knock-knock-knock-knock? If so this points to shafts, as does the feeling you get through the floor.

wildejon

nope, not rhythmic...

Gonna check out the top mounts and drop links tomorrow... Cheers for the input all :D

steve@cornwall
They dont seem to budge at all! Feel really solid still.

To check the lower arm balljoints I just need to get them off the hub and see if they waggle right?

Really hope its not that, could do without the expense!

Cheers guys

Jack the car up , put your hands at "quarter to 3" and rock the wheel in its turning arc - you should see any noticeable play in the b/j

wildejon

Ah, ok. Thats a new one on me, like it!

05:30 start for me then, hope to have a look before work, thanks!

wildejon

I had a look this morning.

The drop links look OK (although I'll swap them out and see if it makes any difference anyway), the lower arm ball joint won't budge but I did notice once it was on the ground that I could make it clunk by rolling the wheel forwards and backwards (working against the handbrake so it didn't move far). I found that the rear lower arm mounting point was moving, going to check the bolt size later, hoping its not a bush (would that make it clunk?). After tightening the bolt a bit more it seems to have stopped moving, somthing still clunks when I drive tho. Sooo hard to pinpoint!

wildejon

I have now swapped out the drop links, top mounts and ARB bushes (they were fun...). Problem is still there.

Would lower arm bushes make a knocking sound if they had gone? Or more likely the engine mount?

I was on a hill earlier, waiting at lights, facing downhill. If I lifted off the brake and moved a few cm and stopped again, I could hear it knock each time I stopped...

Cheers!

j_turnell

Just a thought but have you checked the subframe bolts?

wildejon

I have, yes. Good idea tho

Incedentally, what torque should they be tightened to?

Edited by wildejon

dcc

is the exhaust touching the tunnel at any point? you have a gti6 exhaust manifold iirc, might be touching the seam in the engine bay,

Paul_13

Caliper bolts tight?

Probably been mentioned above...

wildejon
is the exhaust touching the tunnel at any point? you have a gti6 exhaust manifold iirc, might be touching the seam in the engine bay,

Yup, calipers are all tight, will check manifold this am! Doesn't sound like that to me... This is driving me nuts :blink:

wildejon

Looks like its the lower arm bushes, I had someone rolling the wheel wille I was under it today, deffo some movment there!

I'll be doing those soon I hope, fingers crossed that solves it

Gazza 67
Looks like its the lower arm bushes, I had someone rolling the wheel wille I was under it today, deffo some movment there!

I'll be doing those soon I hope, fingers crossed that solves it

Did this cure your problem? I have a similar issue and can't locate the culprit? Going to have look at the bottom engine mount fork.