• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Tightening Up Wishbones

djinuk

Ok, i searched the boards to get the torque settings for the two wishbone bolts (front beind 35nm, and rear bolt being 78nm) problem being i have no idea how you can get a torque wrench into the gap to torque up them rear bolts,.. do you need remove the arb >?

j_turnell

I usually just use a rachet spanner, but if you do want to use a set torque, not really necessary imo, 'tight' usually does it, you could just tighten the bolt end and put a spanner on the nut end, should be able to get a torque wrench in there.

welshpug

Did this a few days ago, I used a LOOONG 1/2 extension bar and an UJ adapter, and my 1/2" torque wrench.

front wheels lowered onto two 4" thick concrete building blocks, go in over the wishbone under the driveshaft.

stick a spanner on the back end to hold it still.

Edited by welshpug

pug_ham
problem being i have no idea how you can get a torque wrench into the gap to torque up them rear bolts,.. do you need remove the arb >?

No need to remove the arb, I use a wobble extension on the head of the aft bolt to do them previously.

Graham.

djinuk

sweeet, will have another look tonight..

Not so sure i would just do them tight, i mean looking at thre torque settings the front bolt dosent really have to be that tight at all , yet the rear bolt goes up to 78nm

j_turnell
Not so sure i would just do them tight, i mean looking at thre torque settings the front bolt dosent really have to be that tight at all , yet the rear bolt goes up to 78nm

Thats a fair point but in my experience fitting god knows how many pairs of wishbones, i've just done them tight and never had any problems with premature bush failure or alike.

VisaGTi16v

Ive only ever done them FT and with the car in the air

welshpug
Ive only ever done them FT and with the car in the air

not a problem at all if you use polybushes, as they work more like a bearing than the original bonded rubber bushes.

Tom Fenton

I usually just position the wishbone at about 5 deg down from horizontal, which is about where they sit with weight on the wheels, then do them up FT with spanners.

The one bolt is tighter than the other because if I'm not mistaken, one is 12mm and one 10mm?

EdCherry

Front is M10 and Rear is M12 correct tom. I did this today bit of a faff with the car sitting on the kerb and on some planks of wood the other side bit of a faff to get my torque wrench in there with very little movement but I did it in the end.

VisaGTi16v

heh dont use polys either but they are normally bolted in at the hub end with no wheels on so no sagging down that much from horizontal with shorter shocks so I guess ok