• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimistdt

Front Panel And Inner Wing

jimistdt

Could Mr MOT man give me any hassle over the state of the inner wing and front panel as they are in the photos. The MOT is due before the end of the month and I'm hoping that I can get away with this otherwise I'm stuffed.

Nearside,

Image172-1.jpg

Image172-2.jpg

I'm bracing myself.... :D

philfingers

I'd say probably would be a fail.

You could either but some filler in it, throw some underseal at it or do the job properly. All depends on how much the car is worth to you and if you have the skills to fix it yourself.

If you want to keep the car then you need to fix it really. There have been a few threads on changing this panel. I did mine, it's in Minor Works threads

jimistdt
I'd say probably would be a fail.

You could either but some filler in it, throw some underseal at it or do the job properly. All depends on how much the car is worth to you and if you have the skills to fix it yourself.

If you want to keep the car then you need to fix it really. There have been a few threads on changing this panel. I did mine, it's in Minor Works threads

Thanks Phil

It will get repaired its just I've quite an extensive list of other jobs that I have to see too as well, so I've booked the week off work next week to undertake the work.

I haven't access to welding gear unfortunately, but I do want to do the job properly. The car isn't much to look at on the outside but mechanically it is very good, everything that's needed replacing has been, and its cost me a bob or two, so will next week, but I can't stretch much more, if any more, than I am at the moment.

welshpug

Mine has passed with similar but not as advanced corrosion several years running, I will get it sorted soon :D

jimistdt

Mine was aggravated when it had a bit of a bump, I need to refix the bumper mounting bracket as the towing eye is doing a sterling job of holding the bumper and valance in situ. :D

I'll have a proper look next week when I whip the bumper off. But I suspect the worst to be fair.

Might have to ring the old man, see what sort of mood he's in. :)

jimistdt

I've just had a look at your thread Phil, HERE seems my inner wing should should resemble something like this;

IMG_9004.jpg

Not so much like

Image170.jpg

Image171.jpg

So I'll have to make some enquiries, unless someone on here can help me out?

Cheers :ph34r:

jord294

corrosion or rot is only a fail if it's within 30cm of suspension mounting points afik

or if there is jagged or sharp edges from the bodywork

jimistdt
corrosion or rot is only a fail if it's within 30cm of suspension mounting points afik

or if there is jagged or sharp edges from the bodywork

Cheers for that Andy,

I would say its more like 40-50cm or so away, there are no jagged edges on the outside. I'm thinking its borderline. I'm tempted to take it to a local testing station for his verdict before the MOT's due.

Tom Fenton

Unless you want to start cutting the front panel off I'd just blather it in seam sealer and underseal :rolleyes:

jimistdt

Been dodging showers and trying my best to keep dry and somehow in between all that I've managed to make the arches a bit more presentable

Image195.jpg

Bit of Body Filler and Stonechip. I know, the tools of rogue tradesmen, but it'll do for a temporary measure.

dommorton

Looks much more MOT worthy good work :)

SurGie

Good job there, it will pass now quite easy.

There is quite a lot of rot from a 94 205, mine is a 92 and has non in that area, suppose its all down to

who did the sealing i gather..

jimistdt

My MOT man likes 205's. :unsure: 'Proper cars these' he says working his way 'round. I took this to be a good sign, indeed it was, passed 1st time with just an advisory for the lower shock bushes on either side. Pleased was an understatement, I even treated our lass to some Samosas. Lucky girl she is.