• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RossD

Pants Handling

RossD

Thanks all, I'll give it a good look at over the weekend, in particular the UJ above the rack.

Cheers

Ross

joey
I'd say your problem is pretty similar and the car follows road track very easily, especially when slowing down, as soon as im at about 7-10mph a truck track can whip the steering wheel right round, very annoying considering the job cost over £800

ive the same problem, get it every time i slow down to pull in the driveway at home. pain in the asre.

kyepan

i've had all sorts of handling issues that have been down to tyre pressures, it seems especially sensitive with the neutral toe at the front.

J

Henry 1.9GTi
Front spec: Bilstein challenge spec dampers with Eibach 7001 springs. Polybushed 205 wishbones.

Rear: 19mm TB's and ARB. Challenge spec Bilstein dampers.

If those springs are stiffer than standard, there's your problem. Mine still understeers with a big rear arb.

RossD

I'm not sure it is the problem, the Eibachs aren't *that* stiff, also it's only feeling like it's understeering as you turn in. You feel like you're still going forwards but then suddenly it realises and round the corner it goes!

Car's I've driven where the springs are mismatched front\rear, will understeer like a pig all the way through the corner, not just on the turn in :-s

Henry 1.9GTi

fair enough,

it wont help the issue though. Sounds like its taking half a second to load the front up before going round the corner. Twisty soft rear definately wont help this, but as said above all you can do is check everything is bolted up right, no play, no ovalled hubs etc.. Sounds like your rear beam is quite high so would have a fair bit of rake which should help mid corner, but perhaps its not allowing the front to load up quick enough. Bah who am I kidding, got no idea, fit big torsion bars :(

RossD

Thanks Henry, some good points in there ;)

eck_johnston

Sorry to drag this topic up again...

Did you solve the turn in problem? Was it the uj on the steering column?

Mine seems to developed a similar thing.

RossD

Well I havent investigated much further yet as I've not been driving the car too much...... BUT a clonk has now devloped somewhere in the steering column when you move the wheel just off centre, so I'm going to start investigating a bit more thouroughly now. Will report back when I've found the culprit.

RossD

Right, sorted the 'clonk' - The nut on the pinch bolt on the column UJ wasn't quite tight enough, another half a turn with a spanner and the clonk has gone. Steering feels much better now!

I'll have to find the locking washer thing that's supposed to fit on these as it may help with the nut loosening itself again.