• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyJ

Strut Tops Hitting Bonnet

AndyJ

As mentoned in another thread, I have been having a minor niggle with the top of the shock struts making contact with the underside of the bonnet and leaving a little dent on each side.

I replaced the shocks yesterday as i wrecked one on our pothole-tastic road the other day, and i thought the problem might be collapsed rubber donuts, so while i was at it i replaced the top mount rubbers and bearings. Turns out they were in alright nick anyway.

Im still having the same problem only now the passenger side one is in constant contact with the bonnet, which is rather worrying. I have checked and double checked everything has gone back together in the right order (shock/spring->spring top plate->bearing->little domed bit->rubber->big domed bit->upside down domed bit->washer->nut), and none of the bits are bent.

I've attached a couple of pics of the top end of it, can anyone see anything out of place? Im not sure that those square bits of rubber are supposed to be there, but if i take them off it looks like the middle bit is in danger of fouling on the outer part...?

post-13225-1237633479_thumb.jpg

post-13225-1237633487_thumb.jpg

welshpug

what is that square bit of rubber?

AndyJ

No idea, Ive just taken it off and it makes no difference.

I should also mention it's an auto bonnet, if that makes a difference

Bonzai

adjustable shocks? mines done it too, the nipple on top is just a tiny bit too long. Not much you can do about it other than taking a grinder to the strut IMO :|

AndyJ

Theyre just standard fitment monroe gas struts...the old oem ones did it too. I think I'm going to have to pad it out with washers at least temporarily, the fitting instructions that came with them seem to reckon there should be one that sits under the mount (nowhere else ive seen does though), and ive just noticed its starting to crack the paint :/ Off to B&Q i go!

tom_m

from the angle that your top mount studs lean out i'd say your strut tops are quite domed, this could be contributing to the problem.

are you using the OE density rubber? you could try some of the harder rubber mounts they tend to be taller and would help you out a bit.

pug_ham

If you have everything in the strut build up they shouldn't hit a standard bonnet or Auto one.

The sides are the same on each bonnet but there looks to be to much thread through the top of the strut.

I can see you've missed one washer for the earth wire but that wouldn't make any difference to the cleanance above the top mount.

All the parts in this picture show the strut build up minus the top nut & washers but you seem to have it all there & in the correct order.

This picture shows my old STDT standard struts with group N rubbers.

Graham.

Daz_C

In your first pic Graham shouldn't there be a thick metal washer that sits ontop of the strut, seats on the lip underneath the thread ?

That would drop the strut top a small amount.

AndyJ

Well I've put a couple of washers in each side now and they are protruding the same amount as Graham's pic shows, so problem solved for now.

I did consider ordering some group-n rubbers this week but i was concerned whether i'd get them in time for today or not so I went for the standard ones from GSF :) ...I actually asked the guy at gsf to order a whole top mount to eliminate any posible distortion but when they came in they were just rebuild kits, which was a bit pants considering they were £25+ a side...

AndyJ

...of course i've just realised that i forgot to put the bump stops back in. fffffffssfsfff!

Another day! :)

pug_ham
In your first pic Graham shouldn't there be a thick metal washer that sits ontop of the strut, seats on the lip underneath the thread ?

That would drop the strut top a small amount.

Yes there is.

Its not visible in that picture (from cyberncks Mi32 project) but its in the top of the bump stop (which also can't be seen in the picture) that fits over the threads on top of the shocker piston & makes about a 2mm difference.

Graham.

Dirty dave

I seem to have the same problem. I have top mounts so I'll put them in and see if it makes a difference. And if not a couple of washers????

pug_ham

I seem to have the same problem. I have top mounts so I'll put them in and see if it makes a difference. And if not a couple of washers????

On the standard strut build up with everything as pictured below, there really shouldn't be any need for extra washers.

205Mi32_Ph1_134.thumb.jpg

All that's missing from the picture is the large washer which fits onto the strut above the bump stop, the lock nut & the earth wire tab washer that sits underneath it.

g.