• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

oli-pug

Just been looking through this thread again. I'd forgotten how much work had gone into this car!

Enjoyed the laps out yesterday mate, by god it's f***ing loud in there though :)

DSC01925.jpg

Edited by oli-pug

Cameron

Yeah, what an awesome day that was! Perfect weather, not too busy and no major problems with the cars (apart from your brake pad and my burping coolant..) :D

Thanks for getting the discount info sorted too! :P

Lan
Yeah, what an awesome day that was! Perfect weather, not too busy and no major problems with the cars (apart from your brake pad and my burping coolant..) ;)

Thanks for getting the discount info sorted too! :)

was that at Oulton? ifso I can't believe I havent seen you there as I've been popping up to spec now and again over the last few weeks

EdCherry

Have you had this thing noise tested mate?

crossie
UPDATE!! :ph34r:

I started off this evening by fitting my new fuel line fittings, supplied by Pete (Mad Scientist), and will finish bending and fitting the hardline tube tomorrow. My chosen route goes..

From the tank, up through the exhaust tunnel..

DSC01476.jpg

Along the inside of the cockpit, to the firewall..

DSC01477.jpg

Through the firewall to the engine bay..

DSC01478.jpg

To my nice new fuel filter, then to the rail.

DSC01480.jpg

Much better! I'll be finishing off the fuel lines tomorrow and making a start on getting the engine back in. :lol:

can you tell me where or what you made the hard lines from and what fitting and fuel filter you used?

cheers

GilesW

You running the OE tank Cameron?

Any issues with fuel starvation?

Cameron
Have you had this thing noise tested mate?

Yeah, it was 97dB(A) tested at BTB after I built the exhaust, not sure what it was at Oulton but it passed a 100dB(A) limit.

can you tell me where or what you made the hard lines from and what fitting and fuel filter you used?

I used Krontec Hardline tube from Demon Tweeks, it's an alloy tube with a plastic coating, and used Goodridge fittings. The fuel filter is a Sytec motorsport one, also from Tweeks.

You running the OE tank Cameron?

Any issues with fuel starvation?

Yeah I'm still using the std tank, as long as I keep it above about 1/3rd of a tank I don't have any issues. Not ideal but I'm making do. :P

Edited by Cameron

wardy18

Hi mate,

Just having a quick look through your thread and noticed your driver seat placement looks the same as mine, ie exhaust tunnel cut into and boxed so the seat frames can sit more central in the drivers side rather than off to the side, but now my seat is in the perfect position to the steering wheel however, as with looks in one of your photos, you havent havent adjusted the pedals at all.

I find with the altered seat position i could do with moving all pedals about 2 to 3 inches closer to the exhaust tunnel so they are central to my seating position, just feels a little awkward at the moment.

My ideal solution would be to buy one of those race pedal boxes to replace all 3 but i cant afford this right now and they all seem to be for a hydraulic clutch and individual masters for the brakes so alot of alteration works. So the budget solution would be to bend the pedals over and re-inforce by tacking some solid bar down the sides to keep their new shape.

Have you ever found the same issues?!

Regards

Simon

Cameron

Yeah I have the same issue but it isn't really a problem, I was always thinking that modifying the standard pedals would be more hassle than it's worth. Fitting a floor mounted pedal box would be a good (but expensive) solution.

wardy18

I have now bent my pedals over slightly and re-angled my pedal covers to compensate, only probably an inch over but anything better than nothing and hasn't compromised the strength or twisting when preasure applied, I'll get a pic up and compare to yours

oli-pug

About bloody time too! ... Do you get muchos discount at tweeks or something? Bet they love you there :lol:

Rich W on the gti-6 forum sells the TTV flywheels much cheaper by the way!

Cameron

Haha I wish I got a discount there! Maybe they should bring out loyalty cards? :lol:

Yeah it is about time, I'd been putting it off as I couldn't find a place to get hold of Helix paddle clutches to suit the 215mm XU clutch. Then I had a little look on my favourite website for lightened flywheels and found that they had a massive choice if I ditched the standard 215mm size clutch and use a 184mm one.

I opted for the cerametallic plates as apparently sintered ones can be a right pain to drive on the road, so hopefully it won't be too snatchy in traffic!

Batfink

I think with your choice of friction plate it will be snatchy whatever. Especially with the flywheel. What weight do you think the flywheel will weigh? Mine is just over 2kg, but the main difference with these is the clutch covers are significantly lighter than a standard size one.

Edited by Batfink

Cameron

The flywheel weighs 3.5kg.. yeah the clutch cover is aloominum so should be a fair bit lighter.

ash 205gti

awsome build dude wud love my 205 to be like this :)

Stolton

Nice looking project m8

Cameron

Ok, so this is the first bit of actual progress in err.. about 8 months!?

I got my new clutch and flywheel the other day, so after picking up the last of my tools from their post-uni storage in my brother's garage I set to work fitting it. I've had my car in pieces so many times now that it's getting real easy to take it all apart, so got to this stage within a couple of hours of mincing:

IMAG0017.jpg

Some of you will remember that I killed my last standard clutch at Oulton Park in August last year, so I took the clutch off expecting to see carnage. The strange thing is that the clutch looked absolutely fine - no sign of overheating on the pressure plate or flywheel, and no sign of damage to the friction plate! I then turned my attention to the gearbox and the problem immediately became apparent. See if you can spot it..

IMAG0018.jpg

The release bearing has somehow come loose and twisted round, then when I've applied the clutch again it's got wedged in the release fork. This would explain why I had to adjust the clutch cable right out to be able to get any gears, and why pulling away felt so horrible and spongey! You can see the damage to the bearing where it's been wedged in:

IMAG0019.jpg

So I got on the phone to my local Peugeot dealer and had the quickest and easiest part order ever! Normally it's a right pain talking to them but this guy clearly knew what he was doing. I ordered a new release bearing and collected it, then started having a look at my new clutch and flywheel.

Old v new..

IMAG0020.jpg

Difference in friction plates:

IMAG0021.jpg

The new setup (clutch and flywheel) weighs about the same as the old clutch cover does, which should made the engine a hell of a lot more lively! I had a rake through my box of bolts for some M8's, but these were the longest I could find..

IMAG0023.jpg

I'll have to get some longer ones from somewhere, shouldn't be an issue though. While I'm at it I can specify the grade instead of being at the mercy of my assorted stock, which is good as I'd like to use 10.9 or above for the uprated cover.

I ran into another, slightly bigger problem too.. turns out the new cover has a much larger internal diameter to the release fingers, which means the standard Peugeot release bearing will not fit:

IMAG0022.jpg

Good thing I checked, 'cos that would have made a mess! :lol:

Not sure what I'm gonna do about that at the moment.. Does anybody know if Peugeot have any larger diameter release bearings I could use? I don't want to have to go down the route of installing a special hydraulic slave cylinder as that'll be very expensive!

welshpug

surely that should have been specified when ordering with Helix?

Cameron

I didn't order it through Helix, I got it from Demon Tweeks and there weren't any options for type of release bearing.

I've had a look on the Helix site and they have an option that uses the same cover as mine, but has a little spacer plate fitted to the release fingers to use flat release bearings. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and see whether the plate is available separately, as it says the covers are identical. While I'm at it I'll see how much their cover bolt kits are, if it's a reasonable price then I'll get that too.

Alastairh

To buy a clutch kit that doesn't include a release bearing is a bit s*it. Nevermind the fact its a special bearing anyway. Get on the phone to them!

Cameron

It isn't a kit as such, but I'm sure Helix do actually make a kit that uses this cover for Peugeot engines. I bought the cover, plate and flywheel all as separate parts from Tweeks.

I'll be giving Helix a call tomorrow to see what I can do. :)

Cameron

Problem solved! (hopefully..)

Called Helix, and after speaking to a very confused sounding receptionist got put through to a very helpful guy who said they make a release bearing specially to fit this clutch to BE3 gearboxes. So I've ordered one of those and it'll hopefully arrive early next week.

While I wait for that to arrive I'm going to finish hacking weight out of my doors. :)

Rippthrough

Had the same problem with the buggy and it's new cover, just stuck a pivot plate on between the fingers.

Batfink

That clutch and flywheel look flipping awesome :D You will certainly notice a big difference.

Kev