• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

Cameron

Well I've decided the full braided route is just a big fat waste of money, so I've broadened my sights a little and will be trying to make use of the hardline tube I have already. Should just be £100 or so for the fittings and a filter. I'll be using push fittings and rubber hose in the engine bay and to the fuel tank to simplify things and reduce the cost.

craig_007

What are the thickness of your new pads from backplate that touches piston to the friction material that touches disc ?

The calipers that you have are identical to mine,CP5911

I done a little research and found out that these calipers require a 10mm solid disc according to AP web site.

I've not went any further with the conversion as of yet !

Cameron

Same as the original pads, around 10mm. The callipers definitely take a 25.4mm (1") disc though.

Cameron

Decided to put my wheels on today, or the rears at least!

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01331.jpg

I reckon they look sweeeeeeeeeeet!! :)

Definitely prefer them to the white steelies now that they're on, they're so much more stealthy!

I'll be able to get the front ones on next weekend once all my exams are done.

pugpete1108

looks tidy with them wheels on it.

do you have any trouble with clearance? i've just fitted some rallye arches on 1.9 wheels and a 30mm drop and i can barely get a finger between the arche and tyre on the front.

Daviewonder

I think the wheels look good mate, really suit the rest of the car :)

Cameron

Thanks! I'm really glad I went for the flat black now, gloss would have been much too loud and shown up my crappy paint.

Pete - It's tight, that's for sure! I'm going to cut the lip off the inside of the arches otherwise it'll rub.

edbar

Noice! Wasnt sure what they would look like, but like them on alot. So difficult to get a rim that looks right on 205/309's but im lovin it!

Cameron

Fitted the front wheels today, albeit temporarily.. They look sweeeet! B)

DSC01334.jpg

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

In other news, had my last exam today so I can finally start making a bit more progress!

oli-pug

Looks sweet as mate, just need to touch up the paint on your arches now :(

Cameron

Been busy today, my diff arrived last week and the bolts yesterday so I've been fitting that. :(

Decided it would be much easier to just take the engine out, didn't fancy grinding the gearbox casing in situ, so first of all I whipped that out.

DSC01378.jpg

Not much space in this garage due to junk that the estate agent refuses to remove. :D

DSC01379.jpg

With the engine out I stripped the old diff out and took the crownwheel off. Then test fitted the new diff and found that the casing would need to be ground in a couple of places, the usual high spot and an extra little lump next to the bearing.

DSC01376.jpg

Ground that off but it got quite difficult to get to the little bump the more I ground it away, and I didn't want to eat into the bearing carrier too much so I had to file the last bit off. Took a while!

DSC01377.jpg

Then test fitted the diff again to make sure it turned freely, and fitted the CW and installed the diff. Just about got it in when the ice cream man pulled up and i decided to call it a day. :P

So next weekend I should have all the bits for my fuel lines, and will set about fitting them. I also have a roll of Thermo Tec heat shield that I will be using for the firewall and exhaust tunnel to try and keep the heat down a bit. I'm getting rid of the heat wrapping on the manifold because its started to fray and is covering my engine bay in lovely itchy fibres. Will be very glad to see it gone!

Hoping this weather holds out too! Awesome! :D

Nickmatthewsrallying

Looks like a really good project what made you decide to go for the AP 2 pots? Just out of intreats

Cameron

Something to do. :)

I really fancied the conversion after seeing some of the callipers and feeling how light they were, then found out a mate's dad worked at Lotus and could get the parts cheap and thought it would be rude not to. It's probably the most expensive little project so far though, I think the conversion has cost me about £500 but I also had to get new wheels & tyres so that they'd fit!

Nickmatthewsrallying

Cool, be interesting to see what difference they make over standard and compared to 4 pots.

Cameron

I reckon more rear brake bias will be needed! :mellow:

Cameron

UPDATE!! B)

I haven't been able to do any work on my 205 for weeks now, as I'd been absolutely flat out trying to get our Formula Student car ready for it's launch on Wednesday. After many many late nights and long days we finally got it on it's wheels so it looked presentable for our sponsors and uni bigwigs. This is it in all it's glory along with it's battery powered sister car..

JemStansfield.jpg

And this was my project (amongst many other things), designing and making the chassis! :lol:

DSC01445.jpg

So anyway, with that out of the way (kinda) I took today off and did a little bit of work, and will also have all weekend off to do the same. :)

I started off this evening by fitting my new fuel line fittings, supplied by Pete (Mad Scientist), and will finish bending and fitting the hardline tube tomorrow. My chosen route goes..

From the tank, up through the exhaust tunnel..

DSC01476.jpg

Along the inside of the cockpit, to the firewall..

DSC01477.jpg

Through the firewall to the engine bay..

DSC01478.jpg

To my nice new fuel filter, then to the rail.

DSC01480.jpg

I've also used some Thermotec insulation to protect my firewall from the exhaust manifold, and got rid of the horrible exhaust wrap that had been disintegrating all over my engine bay!

DSC01482.jpg

Much better! I'll be finishing off the fuel lines tomorrow and making a start on getting the engine back in. :D

swordfish210

Nice work mate. How much longer do you have at Uni, i finished today :lol:

Where did you get that insulation from Cameron? And is it just an adhesive backing?

Cameron

I finished a few weeks ago now, got my results yesterday too! FIRST CITY! :)

FS competitions are in July and August so I'm kinda pretty much still at uni at the moment, in fact I've been busier than ever since I finished! :lol:

I got the insulation from Demon Tweeks, and yeah it's self adhesive and very sticky!

Mad Scientist

Get that bed to the tip and use the garage properly!

Hope the fittings are what you needed.

Cheers,

Pete

edbar

Looking nice Cam, nice details. Noticed in one of your pics you have your top mounts marked for adjustment without gauges. Not many seem to do this but trackside it makes so much sense. Well done with your uni results. Now get those AP's fitted lol!

Cameron

Haha Pete I wish I could but it isn't mine to throw away! Landlord was supposed to collect it in September! :unsure:

Thanks Ed, yeah it does make sense, it also definitely helps with setting both sides the same in the first place. :ph34r:

AP's are still waiting bells and brackets annoyingly, it's been over 4 weeks now! They've promised me they'll be with me next week though, so should be back on the road next weekend. :)

Iain-gti

Looking good cam, what tyres are they yoks....? and the brakes look like serious bit of kit. :unsure:

Cameron

Yeah they're Yoko A048's. :unsure: