• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

Cameron

It'll be interesting to see if you manage to get decent ducting away from the radiator, there isn't much space! Ducting to the radiator is definitely a good idea though, and block off as much of the front of the car as you can.

Batfink

I was looking at all the rally cars at the autosport show so am hoping I can do similar. I agree about the room so it may not work. I've got lots of cardboard and packing tape to make up some mockups though ^_^

Cameron

Can't go wrong with cardboard mock-ups. ^_^

Cameron

Not much of an update, but after talking to some people in the know I've decided that the airbox idea just isn't worth the hassle. For N/A the side entry design is no good, and to make a properly tapered centre inlet box would take up way too much space and just be a massive ballache. Apparently the best thing for TB's in my situation is just one of the Pipercross sausage type filters, so I'll just be using one of those with some ducting to the front grille. Easy peasy. :blush:

My laser cut flanges are on order, and I'm hopefully getting some runners bent by Colin Satchel. Should be able to start making things in a few weeks.

Edited by Cameron

DrSarty
flanges

More than one flange. :blush:

If you're going to Colin's anytime between 21-30 April, I'll be there; maybe with Welshpug too finishing off Evo.

I bet you enjoyed all of your mock-up building and CAD work though despite not going for your idea.

Cameron

I don't believe it, a sunny day! And.. progress! :rolleyes:

I hid away from the morning showers and took my VTS rack apart so it can be cleaned up in the parts washer. Was an utter ballache to be honest as I don't have any large mole grips so I had to bodge together away of getting the track control arms out, got there in the end. I'm going to swap the TCA's with the ones on my GTi6 rack as they're already shortened ready to fit, not to mention being a lot cleaner!

Lots o parts.

DSC01171.jpg

They can all go in the parts washer tomorrow.

Then, when the sun came out I had a go at finding a decent place for the PAS pump in the engine bay and, well, there wasn't one! I had imagined it fitting in the corner under the header tank but it just wouldn't fit nicely and would have looked s*it. The only other place it could have gone was on top of the battery tray but I just can't justify fitting something that heavy so high up, plus it looked awful and there was barely any space for the reservoir.

So I remembered that someone had said they fitted theirs under the boot floor, which seemed like a mad idea but when I actually got it under there and had a look it actually goes in pretty nicely. Also it's weight low down and relocated to the back - win win.

DSC01172.jpg

It also works out well as the battery is pretty much right above it in the boot, so I don't need massive long lengths of power cable, just a short run to the battery. :rolleyes:

Will measure up the hose lengths and get some on order at some point this week.

welshpug

nice, shouldn't be too difficult to route the pipes either, might need a 180 fitting or two on the end of the pipes.

Cameron

Well handily I think I might be able to just use a straight fitting out of the pump, then either run it down the inside of the car with my brake lines or down the outside of the exhaust tunnel. Latter is probably best as I don't have to use any firewall fittings or grommets then.

Cameron

Did a bit more work yesterday.. Parked the 205 at the bottom of the driveway where it will be staying for the next few months, then set about the horrifically complicated method of removing my exhaust tunnel wiring covers! Basically I made it in a hurry so they're riveted to the chassis, which means I have to remove the seats and drill out all the rivets to get them off - good job I never blew any fuses! <_<

Will definitely be sorting that out with quarter turn fasteners or something! Anyway getting the seats out does give me a chance to clean out the inside and also gives me a lot more room to work, so it's not all bad. Once the covers were off I got rid of the thing that has made me nervous every time I've driven the car - the rubber fuel lines. I've never been happy about this because A - they breathe petrol vapour so the cabin always stinks, B - they're dangerous! Especially as they were just poked through the firewall with only a thick layer of duct tape to protect them, and that firewall gets hot! I've bought some Krontec Hardline tube to run the fuel lines through the cabin and will be using proper bulkhead fittings this time!

So as well as getting rid of the dodgy fuel lines I also took the inlet manifold off for the last time. My bends from Colin Satchell arrived on Saturday morning (thanks Colin, and Sandy for forwarding me to him) and my flanges will be arriving soon so I can start making them as soon as I've written up my dissertation. Only around 20,000 words to go. :(

DrSarty
they were just poked through the firewall with only a thick layer of duct tape to protect them

BODGE!!!

:P

Cameron

:(

Yeah massive bodge indeed, that's why they had to go! :P

Cameron

Today has been present day for me. :)

Firtsly, a non-present. I got my rack all cleaned up at the weekend and had left it to dry, put it back together and it looks goooood!

DSC01188.jpg

DSC01187.jpg

Then I got these little beauties of a mate!

DSC01186.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

They're really nice and light, and brand spanking new! Now to just make them fit.. ;)

swordfish210

Mmmm, shiney shiney :) What brakes did you have on the front before?

Cameron

1.9 callipers with Mintex 1155 pads. Will be getting Ferodo DS2500 for these. :)

I also really need to upgrade the rears to discs while I'm at it!

oli-pug

Cam, if you do go ahead with fitting the Lotus calipers I could be interested in a set of brackets. I've heard the offset needs to be quite high though due to the width of the caliper.

Also, regarding pads for them. SBS have a very good reputation in the Lotus circle, I'm sure Questmead can supply them or my old work might have a set on the shelf.

Cameron

Cool, I'll certainly bear them in mind! I'm going to try and fit them under my 14" steelies for now, so the offsets may be different to your alloys, I guess we'll see. If I can fit the 280mm discs in there then I definitely will!

I'll let you know the progress as and when it happens, I'm sure if we get a few of each made up it will work out a bit cheaper. :(

Edited by Cameron

DrSarty

Mad Scientist can get you good pricing on the Ferodos. :(

Mad Scientist
:)

Cameron

Ohhhhh rrreeeeeally? What is good price? :)

Batfink

I sell a lot of Carbone Lorraine pads to the Lotus crowd.

Mad Scientist

PM me which pad number you need and I will price them up, along with all the Mintex alternatives (1144, 1155 and 1166)

I run www.auto-nation.co.uk

FYI, there is a hell of alot of parts not on the site ATM.

:)

Pete

Cameron

Hi Pete,

The part number for the pads is - FCP1562 in DS2500 compound.

Also do you know if you can get hold of AP racing rotors? I need some 280mm x 25mm, part number is CP4448-160/161G4.

Cheers

Cameron

Mad Scientist

Yes I can. Will sort you out some prices.

Pete

Cameron

Weird.. pretty sure I sent that as a PM! :)