• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Glue From Carpet

ALEX

A previous owner of my CTi I'm restoring decided to glue the carmats to the red carpet!

Possibly to stop them from moving around, new ones would cover most of it but he'd also glued smaller mats up the sides.

Is there a product that removes glue?

I'm not sure if the carpet is bonded or stitched to its plastic backing, would it be safe to use?

omega
A previous owner of my CTi I'm restoring decided to glue the carmats to the red carpet!

Possibly to stop them from moving around, new ones would cover most of it but he'd also glued smaller mats up the sides.

Is there a product that removes glue?

I'm not sure if the carpet is bonded or stitched to its plastic backing, would it be safe to use?

i removed some glue of a rug in my sons room by putting it in the chest freezer when it was hard got it out and as it defrosted i was able to break the glue off

Rom

Anything that can remove the glue, may make it harder to do so. As it will make it gooey i guess ?

Id try anything somewhere inconspicuos first off. Not sure if Tar and Glue remover would work at all ?

Might be worth trying a detailing forum / valeting place.

pugdamo

I was going to say maybe Tar and Glue remover but as already said try an inconspicuos area first. On the plus side at least its the red carpet,its easier to get hold of if you cant get it out and need a replacement.

Anteas

just get a second hand carpet mate way eaiser

steve@cornwall
just get a second hand carpet mate way eaiser

Guys - this is a CTi carpet, not just any old GTi / base model one - specific to the CTi :)

I'd have a go with a sticker removal fluid, such as available from Staples - trying a small area under the rear seat, with the roof down . that stuff STINKS But shifts most gooey glues. If it's hard glue, you may get some results with a sharp stanley blade rubbed at 90 degrees to the carpet (good on fag burns on synthetic carpet,too)

Edited by steve@cornwall

Grim.Badger

If you can find a way to soak it, nail varnish remover should soften the glue; I don't think it will damage the carpet but best checking first.

Any idea what type of glue it is?

Jrod

Glue some mats over it? :D

Edited by Jrod
  • Like 1

djinuk

try some auto glym intensive tar remover, it removed the glue off my boot carpet :D

ALEX

There's a lot to remove, he's gone round the edges and a cross in the middle under 6 mats! (2 up small square mats to the bulkhead!)

I have the carpet out of the car as I planned on jet washing it to clean the grime off it, Done that before and they come up like new!.

the glue is hard, I'm thinking like a bostic model type. cutting it off will make a mess.

I read vinegar or nail varnish might work, I'll try a small hidden area first see how it goes.

If not I'll have a look for this AutoGlym stuff!

But thanks for the advice, keep em coming

Edited by ALEX

DamirGTI

Cellulose thinner or Acetone perhaps :mellow: dunno if the heat might effect the carpet itself but i'll be temped to try by

immersing the carpet in hot water (say 70/80C or even higher ..) for a few hours :D as all these bonding products have some kind of limit with regards to the temperature , so the hot water may at least soften it a bit so that you can try to scrub it off afterwards (like silicone ..)

Damir B)

Ryan

Try some light machine oil on a cloth and giving it a rub.

ALEX

Just found this again while looking for advice on putting the roof back on. I Used thinners in the end, didn't damage the carpet. Then cleaned it with the jet washer and lots of washing up liquid.

Got loads done, I will update my resto topic soon.