• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGPIRATE

Fuel Gauge Warning Light

PUGPIRATE

The low fuel warning light on my 205 doesn't work - as I learned to my cost when I ran out of petrol the other day! Its not the end of the world, but anything that doesn't work in my car tends to bug the hell out of me - even if I don't need it as such!

Is this likely to be as simple as a blown bulb (I'd rather not take the console apart to find out) or is there a switch somewhere that might have a poor earth? If so, where is this wiring reside? My well-thumbed Haynes is not very helpful on this topic!

Hope you can help!

TRYNKEEPUP

mine dosent work im certain its a blown bulb, havent had a chance to take it to bits yet

brian j
mine dosent work im certain its a blown bulb, havent had a chance to take it to bits yet

When my main beam warning light blew I took the instrument cluster out and found that it appears to have left the factory missing the warning bulbs for oil temp and low fuel. There are no marks on the copper contacts from a bulb holder ever being fitted. On the other hand, they had kindly provided me with bulbs in the K-Light, glow plug warning light and choke warning light! :)

You just gotta love pugs!

luggy

The low fuel warning light on my 205 doesn't work - as I learned to my cost when I ran out of petrol the other day! Its not the end of the world, but anything that doesn't work in my car tends to bug the hell out of me - even if I don't need it as such!

Is this likely to be as simple as a blown bulb (I'd rather not take the console apart to find out) or is there a switch somewhere that might have a poor earth? If so, where is this wiring reside? My well-thumbed Haynes is not very helpful on this topic!

Hope you can help!

Resurrect an old thread, had the same issue, replaced the bulb for a known good one, turns out to be a dodgy earth connection to the instrument cluster. Yellow connection on the left of the instrument cluster, wire 64a (white). Theres another 6 wires on the yellow connector, trying to reconnect it an a few other wires came loose mad.gif so re-did the whole lot, gauges are a lot more responsive now without the worry of running out of fuelsmile.gif

welshpug

do you know if the gauge wiring goes through the same plug? mine does the opposite, the needle often wavers or drops right away but the light works fine :lol:

edit, reading again you said it was the earth connection, I guess that's ok on mine as the rest work just right.

luggy

do you know if the gauge wiring goes through the same plug? mine does the opposite, the needle often wavers or drops right away but the light works fine :lol:

edit, reading again you said it was the earth connection, I guess that's ok on mine as the rest work just right.

Oops the wire is 65a not 64awacko.gif

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda Mei

Couldnt tell you but the fuel gauge is a lot more responsive but I have the wire numbers on the yellow connector starting from the left if its of any use.

Connection 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Wire no Nil 65a 65 10a J1 69 30 73

Colour Nil White Blue Red Pink? Yellow Red Cream?

Edited by luggy

Anthony

The connection on the level sender on the tank can suffer badly from corroded/poor connections too, which depending on which of the pins has a bad connection, could mean you lose the gauge, light or both. Just the usual problem with the unsealed 205 type wiring connectors - a bit of WD40 and reseating it a few times tends to solve (or atleast improve) it.